This family wanted updated photos of the 3 younger children and an updated photo of the whole family that they could print, frame, and display in their home. Knowing what the client is hoping to get from the session is so important to me. I usually start with individual portraits so the children were up first. I also wanted to be sure to get a variety of shots for each child. A full body shot as well as a close up, and photos orintated portrait and landscape.
This session took place at Arroyo Verde park in Ventura which has many beautiful and natural settings for a family photo shoot. Once the portraits of the younger children were done I wanted to make sure we did a couple family shots before the younger children lost all interest.
I step back and give the family space to interact and just be themselves. I don't pose or direct these shots. My goal is to capture real moments, emotions, and expressions. This family just had a lot of fun talking, laughing, being silly, and I love how it's so easy to see that in these photos.
And sometimes families get a little crazy and start throwing each other around! I definitely didn't ask for this but since my camera was already up and ready I'm glad I caught it!
I take individual portraits first because during that one on one time with each person they quickly get used to how I work and pose, and I get used to how they move and react to me. When it's time to pose everyone for the family shot, everyone is comfortable with me and we're able to set it up with ease.
I usually take the family portrait with at least two different settings and two different poses. I think it's important to give the client options for when they select their images.
After getting the family portraits, I like to give them space to play around with each other, talk, and laugh.
I step back and give the family space to interact and just be themselves. I don't pose or direct these shots. My goal is to capture real moments, emotions, and expressions. This family just had a lot of fun talking, laughing, being silly, and I love how it's so easy to see that in these photos.
And sometimes families get a little crazy and start throwing each other around! I definitely didn't ask for this but since my camera was already up and ready I'm glad I caught it!
At the end of a family shoot we quickly talk through everything that was shot to make sure we didn't miss anything. It's a good way to end on the same page and set everyone up for what can be expected at the Photo Reveal. The Photo Reveal is where the clients get to pick what images they would like instead of just getting whatever the photographer picks. It's an exciting and unique aspect of my photo shoots that I really enjoy offering. More info on the Photo Reveal and how it works will be coming very soon!






Love this! This is a sweet family too! Good job Emily! :)
ReplyDelete